Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Carter's 1st Trip to the ER!!!!







Ok, so last week (Tuesday July 22nd to be exact) Carter was playing with a wrapping paper cardboard tube in our master bathroom and lost his balance and fell on his wrist on our tile floor. Dave and I were both right next to him when he fell. He cried extra hard and so I picked him up and tried to console him, but he just didn't stop crying. I noticed that he was holding his left arm out kinda funny. I took him into his room to put on his pj's (it was about 9:30 pm) and when I went to put his arm in the sleeve he pulled it away and cried harder. So Dave and I knew something was wrong. We took him to the emergency room and his xray's showed that he had a greenstick fracture on his radius (or his teeny little wrist bone). The doctor put a temporay splint type of cast on him that we kept on for a couple of days until the swelling went down. And then we went to our pediatrician (uncle Ron) and he put a tiny little cast on him. It is honestly so tiny and cute.



Dave and I felt terrible. But there was honestly nothing we could've done to prevent it unfortunately. Dave's Grandpa Bingham always said that toddlers should be required to wear football pads and helmuts so they can survive their many spills! I think he was right!! Carter has adapted quite well to his little cast and enjoys banging it on everything from highchair trays, to metal picknick tables, etc etc. He is definitely ALL BOY - and I hope this isn't just a glimpse of what is to come in his little adventurous life! Here are some pics of his little arm. He has to wear his cast for 4 weeks. Such a bummer way to end the summer huh?

2 comments:

Shiree said...

He looks pretty pleasant for a trip to the ER! (I am sure that was after most of the trauma was over) I can't even imagine what life would be like with a toddler in a cast! And you managed all of those fun trips with it. Your family is looking good! Sorry that I never e-mailed you back. I sure mean to, I just don't get around to it. We'll have to get together sometime. I miss you!

Dave & Karissa Hardman said...

It is definitely a challenge. I don't reccommend this to anyone! He is a trooper and deals well with it. No problem - life gets busy. Love ya!